Wednesday, January 9, 2013

This Heart of Mine

This year I decided that I was going to live fearlessly. I want to embrace life for all that it has to offer; not cowering in the corner or watching from the sidelines. However, being fearless does not mean to be careless; I've been plenty careless with my heart to know the difference. I've thrown it around enough to have acquired some bumps and bruises along the way. 
We are told in Proverbs 4:23 to guard our hearts for it guides our life. Guard your heart. The first image that popped into my head when thinking of guarding my heart was Frodo guarding the precious ring. 

Frodo vowed to protect the ring, risking everything to ensure its safety. Imagine if we protected our hearts the way he guarded the ring. He protected the ring from Sauron, from Gollum, from his friends, and from himself. From himself. You see, sometimes we have to protect our hearts from ourselves. We easily get impatient and frustrated, causing us to rush into things and act carelessly. Protecting our hearts means that we have to wait. We have to stop listening to what the world is saying and start listening to what God is saying. 

I am impatient. I want all the good stuff, and yes, I want it now. But, that's not how it works. God's written this beautiful life for me, and I have to read it page by page; taking it day by day. Jeremiah 29:11 promises us that God has plans for our lives, plans that are good, one's that will give us hope. Guarding my heart means that I have to have faith in that.

bestillandsmile

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete